We’ve all heard the warnings about dogs eating chocolate. Is it really toxic to dogs? Why is it so dangerous? And, probably the most important question, what to do if your dog eats chocolate? I’ll answer all of these questions in this quick guide.
Chocolate is made from the roasted seeds of cocoa plants. It contains a chemical called theobromine. Dogs do not metabolize theobromine as humans, so it can become toxic to them.
“If your dog eats chocolate, the first thing you need to do is contact your veterinarian. It is likely that they will tell you to make him vomit to get the chocolate out of his system. You can use 3% hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.”